In this ‘mini’ online WA Migration Update webinar panel, from UWA’s Migration Mobilities and Belonging group, we consider the effects of Covid-19 on migration and ethnic minorities in Australia.
This includes issues for international students and temporary visa holders, the impact a range of institutions, the need for appropriate data, the potential long-term impact on Australia’s migration program, the effects on services and responses of communities, and the rise in racism related to the pandemic and FECCA’s Anti-Racism Strategy initiative.
- Professor Andrew Jakubowicz, Sociology, University of Technology Sydney – vulnerable communities and data gaps
- Rachel Mathewson, Assistant Director, WA Community Engagement Team, Department of Home Affairs – Home Affairs’ response and migrant service delivery
- Daniel Estrin, Migration Institute of Australia – impact on migration flows
- Senali Madugoda Gunaratnege, International Student, Edith Cowan University – the international student experience
- Ashleigh Brand (Stirling) and Sarah Janali (Canning) – local government support initiatives and response
- Suresh Rajan, President, Ethnic Communities Council Western Australia – FECCA anti-racism initiative
Chair: Associate Professor Farida Fozdar, Sociology, The University of Western Australia