BA, BA (Hons), PhD (UQ)
Sara Davies is a Professor at School of Government and International Relations, Griffith University, Australia; Adjunct Professor at the Gender Peace and Security Centre, School of Social Sciences, Monash University; and Adjunct Professor at the Australian Centre for Health Law Research, School of Law, Queensland University of Technology. Sara is an International Relations (IR) scholar with a specific focus on Global Health Security and the Women, Peace and Security agenda. Sara has been an Australian Research Council Discovery Australian Postgraduate Award Scholar (2008-2012) and an Australian Research Council Future Fellow (2014-2018).
Sara’s research career has been devoted to identifying the political conditions that deny humans access to civil, economic, and social human rights. Her research has focused on situations where humans face immense vulnerability: disease outbreaks events, gender-based and sexual violence in conflict, forced displacement, and food insecurity. To date, her research has produced 3 sole authored books, one co-authored book, seven edited books, over 50 research publications and over million research funding. She has published in The Lancet, Nature, International Studies Quarterly, Medical Law Review, International Affairs, and Review of International Studies. Sara is co-editor of the Australian Journal and International Affairs (2019-) and was founding and co-editor of Global Responsibility to Protect (2009-2019). Sara has served on the Research Board for the Australian Institute of International Affairs (2013-2016) and the Executive Board for the Global Health Section, International Studies Association (2014-ongoing).
- Director of Research, School of Government and International Relations, Griffith University 2020-.
- Executive Board, Global Health Section, International Studies Association, 2014-.
- Board Member, Global Health Security Network, 2019-.
- Early Career Research Member, Research Board, Australian Institute of International Affairs, 2013-2016.
- Program Director, Asia Pacific Responsibility to Protect Centre, University of Queensland, 2012-2016.
ARC Future Fellowship 2014 – 2018
ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2008 – 2012
Visiting Fellow, LSE Department of Health Policy, 2019-2020
Visiting Fellow, Department of Politics and International Studies, Warwick University, 2017-2018
Member of the International Studies Association of North America
- Davies, SE 2019, Containing Contagion: The Politics of Disease Outbreaks in Southeast Asia. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA.
- Davies, SE, and True, J, (eds.) 2019, The Oxford Handbook of Women, Peace and Security. Oxford University Press, New York, USA.
- Davies, SE, Kamradt-Scott A, Rushton S 2015, Disease Diplomacy. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA.
- Davies, SE. 2010. Global Politics of Health. Polity Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Davies SE, Harman S, 2020, Securing Reproductive Health: A Matter of International Peace and Security, International Studies Quarterly 64(2):277-284.