Mb, BCh, BAO, FRCP, FRCPsych
Michael Farrell is Director of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales and a Professor in the Faculty of Medicine, UNSW. He is also the Theme Lead for Neuroscience, Mental Health, Addiction and Ageing in the Faculty of Medicine. He is a former Vice Dean of the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London and was a Professor of Addiction Psychiatry, at the National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry until 2011. He was also a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital leading a large community drug and alcohol service in South London from 1993 to 2011. He was the President of the Psychiatry Section of the Royal Society of Medicine. He was the Chair of Scientific Advisory Board of the European Monitoring Centre on Drugs and Drug Addiction. He is currently President of the Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs. He is a member of the World Health Organization Expert Committee on Alcohol and Drug Dependence since 1993. He has provided policy advice to numerous National Governments and International Organizations over the past two decades. His research interests cover broad aspects of tobacco, alcohol and other drug use and strategies to reduce social and individual harms. He has worked on a range of policy relevant projects and aims to promote and translate interventions into practice improve community, family and individual well being.
Professor, Medical Faculty UNSW
- Acute risk of drug‐related death among newly released prisoners in England and Wales M Farrell, J Marsden Addiction 103 (2), 251-255
- Development of the treatment outcomes profile J Marsden, M Farrell, C Bradbury, A Dale‐Perera, B Eastwood, .Addiction 103 (9), 1450-1460
- Does exposure to opioid substitution treatment in prison reduce the risk of death after release? A national prospective observational study in EnglandJ Marsden, G Stillwell, H Jones, A Cooper, B Eastwood, M Farrell, ...Addiction 112 (8), 1408-1418
- Cannabinoids for the treatment of mental disorders and symptoms of mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis N Black, E Stockings, G Campbell, LT Tran, D Zagic, WD Hall, M Farrell, ...The Lancet Psychiatry 6 (12), 995-1010
- The clinician's guide to illicit drugs and health 2019 S Darke, J Lappin, MP Farrell Silverback Publishing