BA (Hons) (Manchester), DipEcon (Peking), PhD (London)
Professor David S. G. Goodman is Director, China Studies Centre, University of Sydney. He is also Emeritus Professor in the Department of China Studies at Xi' an Jiaotong-Liverpool University in Suzhou, China; in the Department of Government and International Relations at the University of Sydney; and in the Australia-China Institute at the University of Technology, Sydney.
Professor Goodman specialises on social and political change in China, especially at the local level.
2021- Director, China Studies Centre, University of Sydney
2017-2021 Vice President Academic Affairs, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou, China and Pro-Vice-Chancellor University of Liverpool, UK
2014-2021 Professor of China Studies, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou, China
2014-2017 Head, Department of China Studies, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou, China
2012-2016 Professor, School of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Nanjing University, China
2009-2015 Professor of Chinese Politics, University of Sydney
2004-2008 Pro/Deputy Vice Chancellor and Vice President International, University of Technology, Sydney
2005-2008 Professor of Contemporary China Studies,University of Technology, Sydney
1994-2005 Professor of International Studies, University of Technology, Sydney
1994-2004 Director, Institute of International Studies, University of Technology, Sydney
1991-1994 Director, Asia Research Centre on Social and Economic Change, Murdoch University
1988-1994 Professor of Asian Studies, Murdoch University
- (2021) Class and the Chinese Communist Party: A hundred years of social change (Two volumes) with Marc Blecher, Yingjie Guo, Jean-Louis Rocca, Tony Saich, and Beibei Tang. Routledge.
- (2018) China Impact: Threat Perception in the Asia Pacific Tokyo University Press.
- (2015) Handbook of the Politics of China. Edward Elgar.
- (2014) Class in Contemporary China Polity Press.
- (2013) Middle Class China Edward Elgar.
- (2012) China's Peasants and Workers Edward Elgar.
- (2012) Twentieth Century Colonialism and China Routledge, London.
- (2008) The New Rich in China: Future rulers, present lives. Oxford: Routledge.
- (2004) China's Campaign to Open Up the West. Cambridge: Cambridge UP.
- (2000) Social and Political Change in Revolutionary China. Lanham, Maryland, USA: Rowman & Littlefield.