BS (Theoretical Physics, Cum Laude), PhD (Theoretical Physics) (Utrecht); BA, PhD (Economics, Cum Laude) (Amsterdam); FASSA
Jacob Goeree, Scientia Professor and Director of the AGORA Centre for Market Design, is a world-leading experimenter, theorist and market designer.
He has published in top general interest journals in economics, computer science and political science, including Econometrica, American Economic Review, Journal of Political Economy and American Political Science Review, as well as in Nature and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. He has also produced two highly-praised books: Quantal Response Equilibrium (with Holt and Palfrey), published by Princeton University Press (2016) and the Handbook of Spectrum Auction Design (co-edited with Bichler), published by Cambridge University Press (2017).
Jacob Goeree’s research has influenced the design of major spectrum auctions worldwide. More recently, he received the EURO Prize for the design of a combinatorial exchange to reform the NSW Fishing industry. Because of his ground-breaking research contributions, Professor Goeree was elected Fellow of the Econometric Society (2012), Fellow of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (2014), Fellow of the Royal Netherlands Society for the Sciences (2015), and Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia.
2016 – Scientia Professor, UNSW
2016 – Director, AGORA Centre for Market Design, UNSW
2015 – 2017 International Faculty, University of Cologne
2009 – 2016 Chaired Professor, University of Zürich
2009 – 2016 Director, ESEI Centre for Market Design, University of Zürich
2004 – 2009 Professor of Economics, California Institute of Technology
2001 – 2004 Professor of Economics, University of Amsterdam
1999 – 2001 Associate Professor of Economics, University of Virginia
1996 – 1999 Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Virginia
Research Fellow, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, 2003-2007
Fellow of the Econometric Society, since 2012
Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), since 2014
Member of the Royal Netherlands Society for the Sciences (KHMW), since 2015
Tinbergen Prize, 2003
EURO Excellence in Practice Award, 2018
Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, since 2018
- Handbook of Spectrum Auction Design (with Martin Bichler) Cambridge University Press, Published October 2017, ISBN 9781107135345, https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/handbook-of-spectrum-auction-design/60DD9D34CC3F856CC20CEF7474FEF41A
- Quantal Response Equilibrium – A Stochastic Theory of Games (with Charles Holt and Thomas Palfrey) Princeton University Press, Published June 2016, ISBN: 9780691124230, http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10743.html
- “On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant-Strategy Implementation” (with A. Gershkov, A. Kushnir, B. Moldovanu, and X. Shi) Econometrica, 81(1), January 2013, 197-220.
- “An Experimental Study of Collective Deliberation” (with L. Yariv) Econometrica, 79(3), May 2011, 893-921.
- “The Amsterdam Auction” (with T. Offerman) Econometrica, 72(1), January 2004, 281-294