BSc (Econ) (Hons) (Hull), AM (Indiana), MA (Dalhousie), PhD (UC, Berkeley)
John Ravenhill is the Chair of the Department of Political Science at the University of Waterloo. He was previously Director of the Balsillie School of International Affairs, Waterloo, Canada, and Professor and Head of the School of Politics and International Relations, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University. He specialises in international political economy, especially on production and trade in the Asia-Pacific region. He is currently working on an ARC-financed project on the future of the automobile industry in East Asia.
Key appointments in the last ten years include consultancies for the ASEAN Secretariat, the Asian Development Bank, and the World Bank; and appointment as a member of the SBE Panel for the 2010 ERA exercise of the Australian Research Council.
- 2019 - Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science, University of Waterloo, Canada.
- 2013 - 18 Director, Balsillie School of International Affairs, Waterloo, Canada.
- 2010 - Professor and Head of the School of Politics and International Relations, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University
- 2004 - 10 - Professor, Department of International Relations, RSPAS, Australian National University
- 2000 - 2003 - Chair of Politics, University of Edinburgh
- 1997 - 2000 - Professor, Department of International Relations, RSPAS, Australian National University
Distinguished Scholar Award, International Political Economy Section, International Studies Association, March 2016
Ravenhill, J. (co-author) (2021), The Political Economy of Automotive Industrialization in East Asia . New York: Oxford University Press.
Ravenhill J (co-editor and contributor) (2012) Middle Power Dreaming: Australia in World Affairs 2006 - 10 Oxford University Press
Ravenhill, J (2010) "The 'New East Asian Regionalism': A Political Domino Effect", Review of International Political Economy 17, 2 (May) pp. 178-208
Ravenhill, J (co-editor and contributor) (2008) Crisis as Catalyst: Asia's Dynamic Political Economy, pp. xii +324. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press
Ravenhill, J (2009) "The Economics-Security Nexus in the Asia-Pacific Region" in William T Tow (ed) Re-envisioning Asia-Pacific Security: A Regional-Global Nexus? (pp 188 - 207) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Ravenhill J (2009) "The New East Asian Regionalism: Much Ado About Nothing?" in Review of International Studies, 35, S1 (February), pp. 215 - 235.
Ravenhill J (2008) "In Search of the Missing Middle", in Review of International Political Economy, 15, 1 (February), pp. 18 - 29.
Ravenhill J (2008) "The Move to Preferential Trade on the Western Pacific Rim: Some Preliminary Conclusions", in Australian Journal of International Affairs, 62, 2 (June), pp. 129 - 150.