CandArt, MagArt (Copenhagen), PhD (Edinburgh), DrPhil (Copenhagen), FBA, FRSE, FASSA, F.Royal Danish Academy
Knud Haakonssen is Professor of Intellectual History (part-time) at the University of St. Andrews, Adjunct Professor of History at the University of Copenhagen and Associated Fellow at the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies at the University of Erfurt. He works on moral, political and legal thought 1600 - 1800. Current interests include work on:
- natural law from Grotius to Hegel
- The Enlightenment in Germany, Scandinavia and Scotland
- pre-Kantian concepts of philosophy.
Festschrift: Philosophy, Rights and Natural Law. Essays in Honour of Knud Haakonssen, ed. I. Hunter and R. Whatmore, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2019
- Professor of Intellectual History (part-time), Co-Director Institute of Intellectual History, University of St. Andrews
- Professor Emeritus of Intellectual History, University of Sussex
- Associated Fellow, Max Weber Center for Advanced Cultural & Social Studies, University of Erfurt
- Adjunct Professor of History, University of Copenhagen
- Lim Chong Yah Professor, National University of Singapore
- Torgny Segerstedt (Visiting) Professor, University of Uppsala
- Professor of Intellectual History and Director of the Sussex Centre for Intellectual History, University of Sussex
- Professor of Philosophy, Boston University
- Senior Fellow, Research School of Social Sciences, the Australian National University
Memberships / Fellowships
- Fellow, British Academyf
- Fellow, Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
- Fellow, Royal Society of Edinburgh
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society
- Knud Haakonssen (1981) The Science of a Legislator: The Natural Jurisprudence of David Hume and Adam Smith. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. French, Japanese, Chinese translations.
- Knud Haakonssen (1996) Natural Law and Moral Philosophy: From Grotius to the Scottish Enlightenment. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. Chinese translation.
- Knud Haakonssen (ed.) (1996) Enlightenment and Religion: Rational Dissent in Eighteenth-Century Britain, Ideas in Context, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Knud Haakonssen (ed.) (2006) The Cambridge History of Eighteenth-Century Philosophy, 2 vols, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. Chinese translation.
- Knud Haakonssen (ed.) (2006) The Cambridge Companion to Adam Smith, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Knud Haakonssen (general ed.) The Edinburgh Edition of Thomas Reid, 10 vols. Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press, 1995-2021
- Knud Haakonssen (general ed.) Natural Law and Enlightenment Classics, 43 titles. Liberty Press.
- (Co-ed.) (2010) Thomas Reid, Essays on the Active Powers of Man, Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press.
- (Co-ed.) (2015) Thomas Reid on Society and Politics, Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press.
- (Co-ed.) (2017) Ludvig Holberg (1684-1754): Learning and Literature in the Nordic Enlightenment, Abingdon, Oxon, UK: Routledge
- (Co-ed.) (2021) Cambridge Companion to Pufendorf, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press