BA (Asian Studies) (Hons 1), PhD (ANU)
Professor Lenore Manderson is concurrently Professor of Public Health and Medical Anthropology, School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, and Visiting Professor of Anthropology and Visiting Distinguished Professor, Institute for the Study of Environment and Society, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America. She was previously Professor of Medical Anthropology in both the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University, and retains an adjunct appointment with both faculties. Her research interests include the anthropology of infectious diseases, gender and sexuality, the health of Indigenous and immigrant women, and chronic disease, surgery and its impact on social relationships. She was a member of the ASSA Executive Committee and Research Sub-committee, chaired the Steering Committee of the ASSA Research Project on Postgraduate Training in the Social Sciences and was Project Director of the ASSA Research Project, Rethinking Wellbeing. She also co-convened, with Geoff Woolcock, an ASSA workshop on Social Capital, Social Justice. She was an inaugural ARC Federation Fellow (2002-2007), a Fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science, and an A-rated scientist with the National Reseach Foundation, South Africa.
Professor of Public Health and Medical Anthropology, School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, and Visiting Professor of Anthropology and Visiting Distinguished Professor, Institute for the Study of Environment and Society, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America; Member, Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) (2012-2016) of WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Disease (WHO/TDR); Editor of the international journal Medical Anthropology: Cross-Cultural Studies in Health and Illness.
Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, 1995
Australian Research Council Federation Fellowship, 2002-2007 (inaugural awards, 25 September 2001)
Rockefeller Foundation, Bellagio Research Residency, 2003
National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Research Resident, 2003
Fellow of the Society for Applied Anthropology (USA), 2002
Fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science, 2004
American Anthropological Association, Society for Medical Anthropology, MASA Mentor Award, 2007
University of the Witwatersrand, Hillel Friedland Senior Fellow and Visiting Professor, 2008
Monash University, School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychological Medicine, School Award. Exceptional Performance: Research, 2008
Monash University, School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychological Medicine, School Award. Research Leadership, 2009
Monash University, Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Postgraduate Supervision, 2013
National Research Foundation, South Africa, A-rated Scientist
- Lenore Manderson, Eizabeth Cartwright and Anita Hardon (eds) 2016. The Routledge Handbook of Medical Anthropology. London: Routledge
- Mark Davis and Lenore Manderson (eds) 2014. Disclosure in Health and Illness. London: Routledge.
- Narelle Warren and Lenore Manderson (eds) 2013. Reframing Disability and Quality of Life: A Global Perspective. Dordrecht and New York: Springer Publishing Company
- Lenore Manderson (ed) 2012. Technologies of Sexuality, Identity and Sexual Health. London and New York: Routledge.
- Lenore Manderson, Wendy Smith and Matt Tomlinson. (eds) 2012. Flows of Faith: Religious Reach and Community in Asia and the Pacific. Dordrecht and New York: Springer Publishing Company
- Lenore Manderson. 2011. Surface Tensions: Surgery, Bodily Boundaries and the Social Self. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press
- Lenore Manderson and Carolyn Smith-Morris (eds) 2010. Chronic Conditions, Fluid States: Chronicity and the Anthropology of Illness. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Geoff Woolcock and Lenore Manderson (eds) 2009. Social Capital and Social Justice: Critical Australian Perspectives. Darwin: Charles Darwin University Press.
- Lenore Manderson (ed) (2005) Rethinking Wellbeing: Essays on health, disability and disadvantage. Perth : Curtin University Press for API Network.
- Lenore Manderson (ed) (2003) Teaching Gender, Teaching Women's Health: Case studies in medical and health sciences education. Binghamton, N.Y: Haworth Press.
- Lenore Manderson and Linda Bennett (eds) (2003) Violence against Women in Asian Societies. London: Routledge.
- Lenore Manderson and Pranee Liamputtong (eds) (2002) Coming of Age in South and Southeast Asia. London: Curzon Press.
- Linda Whiteford and Lenore Manderson (2000) Global Health Policy, Local Realities: The Fallacy of the Level Playing Field. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.