AB (Hons) (Princeton), MA, PhD (Case Western Reserve), FASSA
Professor Nancy A. Pachana is co-founder and co-director of The University of Queensland Ageing Mind Initiative, providing a focal point for clinical, translational ageing-related research at The University. Professor Pachana specialises in geropsychology; her research interests include the measurement and treatment of anxiety and mood disorders in later life, novel assessment strategies and empirical interventions for dementia, particularly in residential aged care and for carers, measurement of cognitive decline, and general health and well-being in later life. She co-developed the Geriatric Anxiety Inventory (GAI), a published short self-report inventory in wide clinical and research use globally, translated into two dozen+ languages, available commercially at http://www.gai.net.au/ In 2010 she was awarded an Australian Davos Connection (ADC) Future Summit Leadership Award, based on her expertise and leadership in the field of geropsychology. She is the recent recipient of the M. Powell Lawton Award, from the American Psychological Association's Society of Clinical Geropsychology, in recognition of significant lifetime achievement and contributions to the field of Clinical Geropsychology.
-M. Powell Lawton Award (2020) from the American Psychological Association, for lifetime achievement in Clinical Geropsychology
-CAPHIA 2015 Award for Excellence and Innovation in Public Health Team Research, as part of the Project Team of The Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health
-Australian Davos Connection (ADC) Future Summit Leadership Award, for leadership on ageing issues (2010)
-Inaugural Alastair Heron Prize for Research in Dementia, awarded by the Clinical College of the Australian Psychological Society (2006)
-Fellow, Australian Psychological Society (2006)
-Member: American Psychological Association, Australian Psychological Society, International Psychogeriatrics Association
1. Pachana, N.A., Laidlaw, K. & Knight, B.G. (editors). (2010). Casebook of clinical geropsychology: International perspectives on practice. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
2. Pachana, N.A. & Laidlaw, K. (editors). (2014). Oxford handbook of clinical geropsychology: International perspectives. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
3. Knight, B.G. & Pachana, N.A. (2015). Psychological Assessment and Therapy with Older Adults. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
4. Pachana, N.A. (2016). Very Short Introduction to Aging. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
5. Pachana, N.A. Encyclopedia of Geropsychology. (editor-in-chief). (2017). Springer.
6. Byrne, G.J.A. & Pachana, N.A. (eds). (2020). Anxiety in older people: Clinical and research perspectives. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.