BA (Hons), LLB (Hons) (Melbourne), LLM, LLD (London)
Law and Legal Studies
Sam Ricketson specialises in the area of intellectual property, and has taught, researched, published and practised in this area since the late 1970's. His interests are both at the national and international levels, with other interests in legal history, the history of science and technology and public and private international law. Prior to his retirement in April 2019, he was a professor in the Melbourne Law School, teaching mainly in the Masters programme, and also practised part-time at the Victorian Bar until mid-2015.
Sam has served as a member of the Commonwealth Copyright Tribunal, and has been involved with a number of government and professional bodies concerned with law reform in the intellectual property area. He was previously a part-time member of the Victorian Law Reform Commission and is a member of the administrative panel established for the resolution of online disputes with respect to domain names by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
His most recent research has been in the area of international copyright law, and in 2020 he edited a collection of essays marking the half-centenary of the World Intellectual Property Organization.
· Professor, Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne: 2001-2019
· Sir Keith Aickin Professor of Commercial (formerly Corporate) Law, Monash University: 1991-2000
· Lecturer, senior lecturer and reader, Melbourne Law School 1977-1991
· Herchel Smith Senior Research Fellow in Intellectual Property, Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London (1984-1986)
· Visiting appointments at various times at Cambridge, Columbia (NYC), National University of Singapore, Kings College London, and Wuhan.
Sam was appointed a member of the Order of Australia in 2020 for significant service to legal education and intellectual property law.
· International Copyright and Neighbouring Rights: The Berne Convention and Beyond, Oxford University Press, 2nd ed 2005 (co-author Jane Ginsburg)
· The Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, Oxford University Press, 2015
· The Law of Intellectual Property: Copyright, Designs & Confidential Information, Thomson Lawbook Co 1999- (with Chris Creswell)
· Intellectual Property: Cases, Materials and Commentary, LexisNexis, 6th ed 2020 (co-authors Megan Richardson, Mark Davison and Vicki Huang)
· Research Handbook on the World Intellectual Property Organization: The First 50 years and Beyond, Edward Elgar, 2020 (editor).