Looking for some brain food this NAIDOC week? We have a round-up of some unmissable reading, listening and viewing from some of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Academy Fellows below.
- Become an armchair researcher and uncover 65,000 years of Australian Aboriginal invention and innovation with The First Inventors, streaming now on SBS and directed by Academy Fellow, Larissa Behrendt.
- Learn about the life experiences that led Fellow Megan Davis to fall in love with the Constitution and become the driving voice behind the Voice referendum on Australian Story: A Voice from the Heart, streaming on ABC iView.
- In case you missed it, see Pat Anderson in conversation with Fellow Ian Anderson about the highlights and barriers for First Nations researchers across the country, in any early episode of Lowitja Live from the Lowitja Institute.
- Investigate the potential impacts of breaking the silence on truth-telling in Lutruwita Tasmania with Fellow Maggie Walter delivering the 2022 Japanangka Errol West lecture.
- Take a look at how 2022 NAIDOC Week Education Award winner Fellow Bronwyn Fredericks intends to keep working toward dismantling systemic bias and creating lasting change for Indigenous people.
- Hear Fellow Yin Paradies break down how we can change our children’s perception of race and racism from the age of infancy on This Glorious Mess podcast.
- Hear Fellow Sandra Eades discuss the role of multimorbidity in the mortality rate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians on the Medical Journal of Australia podcast.
- Dive into the 2023 ANU Reconciliation Lecture by Senior Australian of the Year and Fellow Tom Calma as he tackles key issues for Constitutional reform.
- Explore a myriad of ways to connect, engage with and learn more about First Nations communities and cultures in every corner of Australia with Fellow Marcia Langton’s Welcome to Country 2nd Edition.
- Celebrate the Indigenous sportsmen and women who forged the way for the current crop of talented players in football in the previously untold history of Aboriginal involvement with the ‘world game’, The Aboriginal Soccer Tribe by Fellow John Maynard.
- Uncover the largely unacknowledged contribution that First Nations people made to Australia’s natural history research in Fellows Lynette Russell and Penny Olsen’s Australia’s First Naturalists: Indigenous Peoples’ Contribution to early Zoology.
Read more about NAIDOC Week here.