DipSocStud, MA (Melbourne), PhD (Columbia)
- Fagan, A and Western, J.S. (2003) Gender differences in the relationship between offending and self harm and depression in adolescence and young adulthood., The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology.
- John S. Western Mark Lynch and Emma Ogilvie (eds.) (2003) Understanding Youth Crime: an Australian Study. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Kathryn Dwan and John Western (2003) Patterns of Social Inequality, In The Cambridge Handbook of Social Sciences in Australia. Ian McAllister, Steve Dowrick and Riaz Hassan (eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Western, J. Makkai,T. McMillan, J. and Dwan, K (2002) The Nature and Characteristics of Professionals in Australia, In Crime in the Professions. Smith, R.G (eds.). Aldershot Hants: Ashgate.
- Western,J. Makkai,T and Natalier, K (2001) Professions and the Public Good, In For the Public Good: Pro Bono and the Legal Profession in Australia. Arup, C and Laster, K (eds.). Annandale N.S.W.: The Federation Press.
- John Western and Mark Lynch (2000) Overview of the Social Impact Assessment Process, In Social Impact Analysis: An Applied Anthropology Manual. Lawrence R. Goldman (eds.). New York: Oxford.
- Peter Atteslander, Bettina Gransow, John Western (eds.) (1999) Comparative Anomie Research. Aldershot: Ashgate.