The Academy’s purpose is to recognise and champion excellence in the social sciences. It is committed to the principles of excellence, independence, integrity and acknowledgement and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. The objectives of The Academy are to:
1. Promote excellence in the social sciences in Australia and in their contributions to public policy
2. Co-ordinate the promotions of research, teaching and advice on the social sciences
3. Promote national and international scholarly co-operation across disciplines and sectors
4. Comment on national needs and priorities in the social sciences; and
5. Provide advice to government on issues of national importance.