Submission to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Australian Data Strategy
On 24 June 2022 the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia made a submission to the Australian Data Strategy.
The Australian Data Strategy is a potentially valuable framework for a whole-of-Government approach to the effective, safe, ethical and secure use of data for the benefit of Australian society. The Academy has identified five recommendations to enhance its comprehensiveness and utility:
- Improved articulation of the social nature and value of data
- Additional measures to encourage coordination of data across jurisdictions and sectors
- A streamlined accreditation scheme for data users to support governance, trust, and integrity
- Inclusion of special provisions for Indigenous and cultural data
- An expanded focus on interdisciplinary capacity building