Submission to The Treasury
On 31 January 2023 the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia made a submission to the October 2022-23 Budget Statement: Measuring what matters.
The Academy has long had an interest in the concept of wellbeing and strongly supports the Australian Government’s initiative to develop a stand-alone Measuring What Matters Budget Statement. This is an opportunity to tap into a considerable body of work and develop a contemporary understanding of what progress means to Australian society.
The Academy makes five recommendations aimed at ensuring the inaugural national framework facilitates a more informed and inclusive policy dialogue on how to improve the quality of life of all Australians:
- Consult on wellbeing outcomes before determining indicators
- Avoid too many indicators
- Enhance ABS capability to produce supporting data, including an annual publication of indicators and trends
- Ensure the professional independence of the Treasury in preparing the document
- Apply the wellbeing framework to future Intergenerational reports
Click on ‘download’ to read the submission in full.