B.Comm, Dip. Social Studies, MA (Hons) (Melbourne), PhD (Brandeis), FGSA, FAAG, FACSW
Allan Borowski is currently Adjunct Professor, Department of Social Work,The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China and School of Social Work, Ariel University, Science Park, Ariel, Israel. He was formerly Professor, Policy, Practice and Social Innovation, at RMIT University, Melboune, between 2015 and 2016. He is also an Emeritus Professor of La Trobe University where he held the Chair in Social Work and Social Policy between 2000 and 2014. He was Head of School between 2001 and 2003. Professor Borowski's major areas of research interest are the social, economic and political impacts of international population movements and population ageing. He has also had a long-standing interest in juvenile crime, justice and corrections. In the latter area, he has focused on the institution of the Children's Court. He has been a Visiting Professor at Oxford University, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Jonkoping University (Sweden), Monash University and the Distinguished Visting Professor in Social Sciences at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Senior Policy Analyst, Policy Secretariat, Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services, Toronto, Canada.
- Foundation Research Manager, Social and Demographic Research Branch, Bureau of Immigration, Multicultural and Population Research
- Associate Professor, Paul Baerwald School of Social Work, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- Professor of Social Work, University of New South Wales
- Chair in Social Work and Social Policy, La Trobe University
- Professor, Policy, Practice and Social Innovation, RMIT University (current)
Elected Fellow, Gerontological Society of America (1997)
Fellow, Australian Association of Gerontology (2008)
Foundation Fellow, Australian College of Social Work (2011)
Yu-Cheung Wong and Allan Borowski. “The Politics of Ageing under a Hybrid Regime: The Case of Democratization in Hong Kong.” Journal of Aging and Social Policy (in press).
Allan Borowski and Eric Kingson. 2019. “The Role of Social Insurance in Alleviating Poverty: Australian Prospects”. In Peter Saunders (Ed.) Revisiting Henderson: Poverty, Social Security and Basic Income. Melbourne University Press, pp. 330-349.
Karen Teshuva, Allan Borowski and Yvonne Wells. 2017. “The Lived Experience of Providing Care and Support Services for Holocaust Survivors in Australia.” Qualitative Health Research. Vol 27, No 7, pp. 1104-1114.
Allan Borowski. 2016. National Report of the Committee for the Evaluation of Israel’s Social Work and Human Services Programs. Jerusalem: Committee Chair’s Report to the Quality Assurance Division, Israel Council for Higher Education, Jerusalem. (Unpublished)
Allan Borowski. 2015. “Occasional Address: Setting Out on Successful, Meaningful Professional Journeys.” National Bulletin of the Australian Association of Social Workers, Vol 25, No 4 (Summer), pp. 44-45. (Not peer-reviewed.)
Allan Borowski. 2015. “Israel’s Long-Term Care Insurance Law after a Quarter of a Century.” Journal of Aging and Social Policy. Vol 27, No 3, pp. 195-214.
- Rosemary Sheehan and Allan Borowski. 2014. “Australia’s Children’s Courts: An Assessment of the Status of and Challenges before the Child Welfare Jurisdiction in Victoria.” Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, Vol 36, No 2, pp. 95-110.
- Uri Yanay and Allan Borowski. 2013. “From a Court Orientation to a Victim Orientation. The Paradigm Shift in Israel’s Juvenile Probation Service.” European Journal of Criminology Vol 10, No 6, pp. 675-689.
- Allan Borowski. 2013. “Risky by Design: The Mandatory Private Pillar of Australia’s Retirement Income System.” Social Policy and Administration Vol 47, No 6 (December), pp. 749-764.
- Allan Borowski and Rosemary Sheehan. 2013. “Magistrates’ Perspectives on the Criminal Division of the Children’s Court of Victoria.” Australian Social Work, Vol 66, No 3 (September), pp. 375-390.
- Allan Borowski. 2013. “Whither Australia’s Children’s Courts? Findings of a National Assessment.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, Vol 46, No 2, pp. 268-288. (Impact Factor = 0.796)
- Rosemary Sheehan and Allan Borowski (Eds.) 2013. Australia’s Children’s Courts Today and Tomorrow. New York: Springer Publishers.
- Allan Borowski. 2013. “A National Portrait of Australia’s Children’s Courts.” Pp. 165-185 in Rosemary Sheehan and Allan Borowski (Eds.) Australia’s Children’s Courts Today and Tomorrow. New York: Springer Publishers.
- Allan Borowski and Rosemary Sheehan. 2013. Pp. 123-142 in “The Children’s Court of Victoria.” In Rosemary Sheehan and Allan Borowski (Eds.) Australia’s Children’s Courts Today and Tomorrow. New York: Springer Publishers.
- Allan Borowski. 2012. “Anticipating Modernity: The Jewish ‘Welfare State’ in Biblical and Medieval Times.” Australian Journal of Social Issues, Vol 47, No 3, pp. 353-372.
- Allan Borowski. 2011. “In Courtroom 7--The Children’s Koori Court at Work: Findings from an Evaluation.” International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, Vol 55, No 7 (October), pp. 1110-1134
- Karin Amit, Allan Borowski and Sergio Della Pergola. 2010. “Demography--Trends and Composition.” Pp. 15-45 in Andrew Markus and Moshe Semyonov (eds.) Immigration and Nation Building: Australia and Israel Compared. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Allan Borowski. 2010. “Indigenous Participation in Sentencing Young Offenders.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, Vol 43, No 3, pp. 465-484.
- Allan Borowski. 2010. “Raising the Age Pension Eligibility Age and its (Dis)Contents,” Australasian Journal on Ageing, Vol 29, No. 3, pp 100-102.
- Allan Borowski. 2009. “The Certainty of Uncertainty: Superannuation and Globalization.” Health Sociology Review (Special Edition on Ageing, Anti-Ageing and Globalization), Vol 18, No 4 (December), pp. 364-378.
- Allan Borowski, Robert Hudson and John McCormack. 2008. “Elder Participation and Senior Power in Australian Electoral Politics.” Journal of Aging and Social Policy. Vol 20, No 4. pp. 458-473.
- Allan Borowski. 2008. “Back at the Crossroads: The Slippery Fish of Australian Retirement Income Policy.” Australian Journal of Social Issues, Vol 43, No 2 (Winter), pp. 311-334.
- Allan Borowski and Peter McDonald (2007) The Dimensions and Implications of Population Ageing, In Longevity and Social Change: Australia in the 21st Century. Allan Borowski, Sol Encel and Elizabeth Ozanne (eds.). Sydney: UNSW.
- Allan Borowski and Mimi Ajzenstadt (2007) Achieving Justice for Children: The Impacts of the Introduction of Public Defenders on Israel's Juvenile Courts, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology.
- Alan Borowski and Diana Olsberg (2007) Retirement Income Policy for a Long-Lived Society, In Longevity and Social Change: Australia in the 21st Century. Alan Borowski, Sole Encel and Elizabeth Ozanne (eds.). Sydney: UNSW Press.
- James H Schulz and Allan Borowski (2006) Economic Security in Retirement: Reshaping the Public-Private Pension Mix, In The Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences (6th edition) pp. 360-379. Robert H Binstock and Linda K George (eds.). New York: Academic Press.
- Allan Borowski (2005) The Revolution that Faltered: Two Decades of Reform of Australia's Retirement Income System, International Social Security Review (58: No. 4: 45-65).
- Allan Borowski (2000) Creating a Virtuous Society: Immigration and Australia's Policies of Multiculturalism, Journal of Social Policy (29: Part 3: 459-475).