BE (Civil) (Monash), MEngSc (Water Eng) (UNSW), DipCompSci, BA(Hons1) (Psychology), PhD (Psychology) (Qld)
Strategy, management and organisational behaviour
NEAL M ASHKANASY is Professor of Management in the UQ Business School at the University of Queensland. His PhD is in Social and Organizational Psychology, also from the University of Queensland. He is a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and the Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management. His research focuses on the role of emotion in organizational life, as well as leadership, culture, and ethics.
Professor Ashkanasy is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Organizational Behavior, Associate Editor for the Academy of Management Review and Emotion Review, and series editor for Research on Emotion in Organizations. He administers two ListServs (Orgcult - the Organizational Culture Caucus; and Emonet - Emotions in Organizations) with a combined subscription of over fifteen hundred.
Main Teaching, Research or Administrative Posts
- 1999 to present: Professor of Management, the University of Queensland
- 2004 - 2008: Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of BEL, the University of Queensland
- Visiting Professor at University of Calgary (1991); Pennsylvania State University (2005); Purdue University (1999); Duke University (2004); Leeds University (2008); Singapore Management University (2009); Technion Institute of Technology (2012).
- 1986 to 1998: Scientific Officer, Lecturer, SL, A/Prof, the University of Queensland
- 1968 - 1986: Career in water resources engineering with the Queensland Water Resources Commission
- Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia, 2017
- Lady Davis Professorial Fellowship, Technion Institute of Technology, Israel, 2012.
- Academician, Academy of Social Sciences, UK, 2012
- Ursula Gielen Global Psychology Book Award (International Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association), 2009
- Distinguished Service Award, Managerial & Organizational Cognition Division, Academy of Management, 2009
- Fellow of APS (US Association for Psychological Science), 2009
- Distinguished Member (Fellow) of ANZAM, 2007
- Fellow of SIOP (US Society for Industrial and Org. Psychology), 2006
- Fellow, Queensland Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2005
- Scott M Myers Award for Applied Research in the Workplace (Society for Industrial and Org Psychology), 2004
- University Medal, University of Queensland, 1982 (Psychology)
- Kate McNaughton Prize, University of Queensland, 1980 (Psychology)
- Churchill Fellow, 1975 (Water resources engineering)
To, M. L., Fisher, C. D., Ashkanasy, N. M., & Rowe, P. A. (2012). Within-person relationships between mood and creativity. Journal of Applied Psychology, 97, 519-612.
Tse, H, H. M., Ashkanasy, N. M., & Dasborough, M. D. (2012). Relative leader-member exchange, negative affectivity and social identification: A moderated-mediation examination. The Leadership Quarterly, 23, 354-366.
Chattopadhyay, P., Finn, C. P., & Ashkanasy, N. M. (2010). Affective responses to professional dissimilarity: a matter of status. Academy of Management Journal, 53, 808-826.
Ashkanasy, N. M., & Humphrey, R. H. (2011). Current research on emotion in organizations. Emotion Review, 3, 214-224.
Dasborough, M. T., Ashkanasy, N. M., Tee, E. E. J., & Tse, H. H. M. (2009). What goes around comes around: How meso-level negative emotional contagion can ultimately determine organizational attitudes toward leaders. The Leadership Quarterly, 20, 571-585.
Ashkanasy, N. M. (2003). Emotions in organizations: A multilevel perspective. In F. Dansereau and F. J. Yammarino (Eds.), Research in multi-level issues, volume 2: Multi-level issues in organizational behavior and strategy (pp. 9-54). Oxford, UK: Elsevier/JAI Press.