2020-21 Pre-Budget Submission.
On 24 August 2020 the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia made a Pre-Budget submission calling for measures to:
- Support young Australians entering the labour market during the COVID-19 recession through policies to maintain their connection to the labour market and build human capital (without imposing extra debt)
- Introduce revenue-contingent loans to help businesses and households affected by the COVID-19 recession and 2019-20 bushfire crisis, and to incentivise start-ups and SMEs to collaborate with university researchers
- Establish an independent income support commission to set the rate for JobSeeker and other income support payments before the Coronavirus Supplement is phased out
- Support the Australian Council of Learned Academies to develop an Australian Energy Transition Research Plan
- Extend financial support to Australian universities to ensure they maintain world-class teaching and research capacity until the international student market recovers
- Enhance the accessibility and use of public sector data by researchers to facilitate and enhance research that advances Australia’s national interests.