Professor Anseel’s research examines the psychological underpinnings of organizational learning, innovation, and entrepreneurship and the role of leadership in these processes. His research on feedback processes in organizations has shown how people go out of their way to seek feedback from others, how they cognitively process feedback, when such feedback efforts result in increased performance and innovation, and how organizations and their leaders may best support learning from feedback. Recent work focuses on how individuals can overcome motivational obstacles during the innovation and entrepreneurial process to “keep their fire burning”. His work has been featured in Science, Nature, Harvard Business Review, BBC, The Financial Times, Psychology Today, the New York Times and The Guardian. In 2018, he was invited by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) for a global webinar broadcast on mental health in PhD students and the importance of supportive leadership. His article on how COVID-19 might change the blueprint of cities was selected by LinkedIn global as one of 21 Big Ideas that will change the world in 2021.
- Senior Deputy Dean (Research & Enterprise), Professor of Management, UNSW Business School, UNSW Sydney (2019-current)
- Vice Dean (Research) and Professor of Organizational Behavior, King's Business School, King's College London (2017 – 2019)
- Head of Department, Professor of Organizational Psychology, Department of Personnel Management, Work and Organizational Psychology, Ghent University, (2014-2017)
- Assistant/Associate Professor Organizational Psychology, Department of Personnel Management, Work and Organizational Psychology, Ghent University (2007-2014)
- Visiting Professor at ESSEC Business School (2014-2015), Bocconi University (2016)
Fellow of the International Association of Applied Psychology
Fellow of the Centre for Evidence-Based Management
President of the European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology (2017-2022)
Best Paper Award, Managerial & Organizational Cognition Division, Academy of Management, 2021
Best Paper Award, Management Education Division, Academy of Management, 2009
- Collewaert, V., Vanacker, T., Anseel, F., & Bourgois, D. (2021). The sandwich game: Founder-CEOs and forecasting as impression management. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(1), 106075.
- Kniffin, K. M., Narayanan, J., Anseel, F., Antonakis, J., Ashford, S. P., Bakker, A. B., ... & Vugt, M. V. (2021). COVID-19 and the workplace: Implications, issues, and insights for future research and action. American Psychologist, 76(1), 63.
- Anseel, F., Beatty, A. S., Shen, W., Lievens, F., & Sackett, P. R. (2015). How are we doing after 30 years? A meta-analytic review of the antecedents and outcomes of feedback-seeking behavior. Journal of management, 41(1), 318-348.
- Anseel, F., Lievens, F., & Schollaert, E. (2009). Reflection as a strategy to enhance task performance after feedback. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 110(1), 23-35.
- Levecque, K., Anseel, F., De Beuckelaer, A., Van der Heyden, J., & Gisle, L. (2017). Work organization and mental health problems in PhD students. Research Policy, 46(4), 868-879.