BA(Hons) (Hull), MA (Staffs), PhD (Wales)
Professor Alex Bellamy is Professor of Peace and Conflict Studies and Director of the Asia Pacific Centre for the Responsibility to Protect, at The University of Queensland, Australia. He is also Non-Resident Senior Advisor at the International Peace Institute, New York. From 2010 - 2014 he was Professor of International Security in the Griffith Asia Institute, Griffith University. He is co-editor of the journal Global Responsibility to Protect and Chair of the Academic Netwok of the United Nations Association of Australia. Alex specialises in the prevention and management of armed conflict, the United Nations, peace operations, genocide and mass atrocities, and the responsibility to protect.
Key recent positions: secretary, High Level Advisory Panel on the Responsibility to Protect in Southeast Asia, co-chair, CSCAP Study Group on the Responsibility to Protect; co-director, Providing for Peacekeeping project (a partnership between UQ, the International Peace Institute and George Washington University), senior fellow, Canadian Centre for the Responsibility to Protect.
- Professor of Peace and Conflict Studies and Director of the Asia Pacific Centre for the Responsibility to Protect at The University of Queensland (2014 - present)
- Non-Resident Senior Adviser, International Peace Institute, New York (2012 - present)
- Professor of International Security, Griffith University (2010 - 2014)
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Professor of Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Queensland (2002 - 2010)
- Lecturer in Defence Studies, King's College London (2000 - 2002)
- 2013 - UN Association of Australia Community Service Award for Exceptional Service and Dedication to the Goals of the UN Charter.
- 2012 - International Studies Association Ethics Section Book Award for Massacres and Morality: Mass Atrocities in an Age of Civilian Immunity.
- 2008 - British International Studies Association Award for Best Article Published that year in the Review of International Studies.
- 2008 - Political Studies Association Award for Best Article Published that year in the British Journal of Politics and International Relations.
- 2006 - University of Queensland Foundation Research Excellence Award.
- 2004 - Academy of Social Sciences in Australia Early Career Researcher Award,
Alex Bellamy (2015) The Responsibility to Protect: A Defense. Oxford: Oxford.
Alex Bellamy and Paul Williams (eds.) (2013) Providing Peacekeepers. Oxford: Oxford
Alex Bellamy (2012), Massacres and Morality: Mass Atrocities in an Age of civilian Immunity. Oxford: Oxford
Alex Bellamy and Paul Williams (2010), Understanding Peacekeeping. Cambridge: Polity
Alex Bellamy (2009), Responsibility to Protect: Global Effort to End Mass Atrocities. Cambridge: Polity
Alex Bellamy (2006), Just Wars: From Cicero to Iraq. Cambridge: Polity
Alex Bellamy (ed) (2005), International Society and its Critics. Oxford: Oxford