BRTP (Hons) (Melbourne), MURP (S.Calif.), DPhil (Melbourne)
Professor Brendan Gleeson is the Director of the Melbourne Sustainable Society Insitute and a professor of Urban Policy Studies in the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning at the University of Melbourne. He was previously the Director of the Urban Research Program at Griffith University. He specialises in urbanisation and urban governance, environmental theory and policy and urban social policy. His most recent research focus is urban resilience in the face of climate change and resource insecurity. He has recently been appointed to the ARC College of Experts and his previous appointments have included Brisbane Inner City Advisory Committee, ACT Planning and Land Council and Board Member of Queensland Urban Land Development Authority.
Mar 1997—Aug 1997
ANU Visiting Scholar, The Australia Centre, University of Potsdam, Germany (on leave from Urban Research Program)
Jan 2002—Nov 2002
External Advisor to Australian Capital Territory Government on reform of planning and land development administration
May 2003—Jun 2006
Member, ACT Planning and Land Council
August 2003 -
Member, National Inquiry into Planning Education and Employment (Planning Institute of Australia and Australian Planning Ministers)
Member Expert Advisory Panel for Queensland Minister of Transport
Jan 2006 —Jun 2009
Member National Policy Committee, Planning Institute of Australia
Advisory Board, Global Urban Development (Washington DC)
Nov 2007—Nov 2010
Board Member, Urban Land Development Authority of Queensland
Jan 2008—Jul 2008
Visiting Professor, National Institute of Region & Spatial Analysis, National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Expert Advisory Panel to Premier of Queensland, Queensland Growth Summit
Panel of Researchers, Ombudsman’s Office for Children, Government of Ireland
1 Jan 2014 onwards
ARC College of Experts for a 3 year period
- John Iremonger Award for Writing on Public Issues, Inaugural recipient 2004, Allen & Unwin
- National Award for Planning Excellence: Planning Scholarship, 2001 (Royal Australian Planning Institute) for Australian Urban Planning: new challenges, new agendas, shared with N.P. Low
- Award for Planning Excellence: Planning Scholarship, 2000 (Royal Australian Planning Institute, Victorian Division) for Australian Urban Planning: new challenges, new agendas, shared with N.P. Low
- Peter Harrison Memorial Prize 1999 for best ‘National Urban Planning and Development Essay’, Australia
- Harold and Margaret Sprout Award 1999 (International Studies Association) for Justice, Society & Nature: an exploration of political ecology, shared with N.P. Low
- Young Research Workers Award (Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers), 1996
- Gleeson, B.J. & Beza, B. (eds.) (2014) The Public City, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, xix + 229 pp
- Gleeson, B.J (2014) The Urban Condition, Routledge, London, 165 pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. & Steele, W. (eds.) (2010) A Climate for Growth: planning Southeast Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St. Lucia, 345 pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. (2010) Lifeboat Cities, UNSW Press, Sydney, 206 pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. and Sipe, N. (2006) Creating Child Friendly Cities. London: Routledge.
- Gleeson, B.J. (2006) AUSTRALIAN HEARTLANDS: Making space for hope in the suburbs. Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Low, N.P., Gleeson, B.J., Radovic, D. and Green, R. (2004) The Green City. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Low, N.P. & Gleeson, B.J. (eds.) (2003) Making Urban Transport Sustainable, Palgrave/Macmillan, Basingstoke, Hampshire (UK), xx + 299pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. & Low, N.P. (eds.) (2001) Governing for the Environment: global problems, ethics and democracy, Palgrave/Macmillan, Basingstoke, Hampshire (UK), xiv + 255pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. & Low, N.P. (2000) Australian Urban Planning: new challenges, new agendas, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, xviii + 258pp.
- Low, N.P., Gleeson, B.J., Elander, I. & Lidskog, R. (eds.) (2000) Consuming Cities: the urban environment in the global economy after the Rio declaration, Routledge, London, ix + 315pp.
- Gleeson, B.J. (1999) Geographies of Disability, Routledge, London, xii + 242pp.
- Low, N.P. & Gleeson, B.J. (1998) Justice, Society and Nature: an exploration of political ecology, Routledge, London, xiii + 257pp.