BSc (Management Science), PhD (Warwick, UK)
Professor CYNTHIA HARDY is a Laureate Professor Emerita in the Department of Management and Marketing at the University of Melbourne and a co-founder of the International Centre for Research on Organizational Discourse, Strategy and Change. Professor Hardy's work focuses on the use of organizational discourse theory and discourse analysis to study organizations. Other areas of expertise include:
- organizational change
- discourse and identity
- power and politics in organizations
- institutional entrepreneurship and change.
Professor Hardy was also a Professor and Honorary Professor at Cardiff Business School in the UK, and has held visiting positions at a range of other institutions including the University of Leicester, UK; the University of Ferrara, Italy; L'Ecole Superieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciales, France; and the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil.
- Head of the Department of Management, Faculty of Economics & Commerce, University of Melbourne (1998 - 2001)
- Montague Burton Fellowship, Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University, Wales, UK (2007)
- International Visiting Fellow, Advanced Institute of Management Research, UK (2006)
- Inaugural Visiting Fellow at the CMA Centre for Strategic Change and Performance Management, Segal Graduate School of Business, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada (2006)
- Visiting Professor, The Management Centre, University of Leicester, UK (2004 - 2009)
- Honorary Professor, Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
- Director of the International Centre for Research in Organizational Discourse, Strategy and Change
G. Dwyer, C. Hardy & H. Tsoukas, “Struggling to Make Sense of It All: The Emotional Process of Sensemaking Following an Extreme Incident”, Human Relations, 1-32. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/00187267211059464
G. Dwyer, C. Hardy & S. Maguire, “Post-Inquiry Sensemaking: The Case of the ‘Black Saturday’ Bushfires” Organization Studies, 42(4): 37 –661, 2021.
L. Cutcher, C. Hardy, K. Riach & R. Thomas, “Reflections on Reflexive Theorizing: The Need for A Little More Conversation”, Organization Theory, 1: 1-28, 2020. DOI: 10.1177/2631787720944183
C. Hardy, S. Maguire, M. Power & H. Tsoukas, “Organizing Risk: Organization and Management Theory for the Risk Society”, Academy of Management Annals, 14(2): 1032–1066, 2020.
C. Hardy, V. Bhakoo & S. Maguire, “A New Methodology for Supply Chain Management: Discourse Analysis and its Potential for Theoretical Advancement”, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 56(2): 19-35, 2020.
C. Hardy & S. Maguire, “Organizations, Risk Translation and the Ecology of Risks: The Discursive Construction of a Novel Risk”, Academy of Management Journal, 63(3): 685-716, 2020.