BA, DipEd (Sydney), Doctor of Letters (Melbourne)
Dr Paul Kelly is Editor at Large at The Australian. He was previously the Editor-in-Chief. He writes on Australian politics, public policy and international issues and has been a weekly television commentator for many years. Paul Kelly holds a Doctor of Letters from the University of Melbourne and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Sydney. In addition, he has honorary doctorates from the University of New South Wales, Griffith University and the University of Sydney. He is a 2002 Shorenstein Fellow from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and has been a visiting lecturer at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs at Harvard.
He specialises in and writes regularly on Australian public policy, politics, history and international relations. His research and writing over the past decade has focused on the Keating, Howard, Rudd and Gillard governments.
He wrote and presented a five part television documentary for the ABC on Australia 1901-2001 to mark the centenary of Federation. In 2002 he presented a lectures series at Harvard University titled Shipwrecked in Arcadia: The Australian Experiment. In 2005 he delivered the annual Cunningham Lecture for the Academy on governance in the Howard era. Paul was a visiting fellow at the Lowy Institute for International Policy in 2006 where he wrote a research paper on ten years of Howard's foreign policy. In 2010 Paul was a Vice Chancellor's Fellow at the University of Melbourne and in 2014 he was a Menzies Fellow at King's College, London.
Paul Kelly is a former director of Melbourne University Publishing, a former member of the Foreign Affairs Council, a former board member of the Australia-Indonesia Institute, a former director of the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute and has been a participant in the annual Australia America Leadership Dialogue since its inception.
Editor-in-Chief, The Australian, 1991-96
- Paul Kelly (2014) Triumph and Demise, MUP
- Paul Kelly, (2009) The March of Patriots, MUP
- Paul Kelly, (2006) Howard's Decade: Australian Foreign Policy Reappraised, Lowy Institute Paper, 15, Lowy Institute for International Affairs
- Paul Kelly and Peter Dawkins (eds) (2003), Hard Heads, Soft Hearts, A New Reform Agenda For Australia, Allen & Unwin.
- Paul Kelly (2001) 100 Years - The Australian Story, Allen & Unwin.
- Paul Kelly (2000) Paradise Divided. Sydney, Allen & Unwin.
- Paul Kelly (1995) November 1975. Sydney, Allen & Unwin.
- Paul Kelly (1992) The End of Certainty, Allen & Unwin.
- Paul Kelly (1984) The Hawke Ascendancy, Angus and Robertson.
- Paul Kelly (1976) The Unmaking of Gough, Angus and Robertson.