BA (hons), MA, PhD (ANU)
Professor Marian Sawer is Emeritus Professor in the School of Politics and International Relations, Australian National University, Member of the International Political Science Association Executive and Co-Editor of the International Political Science Review. She chairs the Social Sciences Editorial Board of the ANU E Press. She was formerly (2000 - 2003) head of the Political Science Program, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University. She was awarded the APSA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009 and was the Program Co-Chair of the World Congress of Political Science in Poznan in 2016.
Currently she is helping complete a large ARC-funded project on Gendered Excellence in the Social Sciences:
Other areas of expertise include:
- theory and practice of representation
- electoral governance
- social liberalism
- gender politics and policy.
• Marian Sawer, Fiona Jenkins and Karen Downing (eds) 2020
How Gender Can Transform the Social Sciences. Palgrave.
• Anika Gauja, Marian Sawer and Marian Simms (eds) (2020)
Morrison's Miracle: The 2019 Australian Federal Election,
Canberra: ANU Press.
- Marian Sawer and Kerryn Baker (eds) (2019) Gender Innovation in Political Science: New norms, new knowledge. London: Palgrave.
- Anika Gauja and Marian Sawer (eds) (2016) Party Rules? Dilemmas of Party Regulation in Australia,Sawer Canberra: ANU Press.
- Sarah Maddison and Marian Sawer (eds) (2013) The Women's Movement in Protest, Institutions and the Internet. London and New York: Routledge.
- Marian Sawer (et al, eds) (2010) Federalism, Feminism and Multilevel Governance. London: Ashgate.
- Marian Sawer et al (2009) Australia: The State of Democracy. Sydney: Federation Press.
- Marian Sawer (2008) Counting for Nothing: A History of the Women's Electoral Lobby. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Marian Sawer and Sandra Grey (eds) (2008; 2010) Women's Movements: Flourishing or in Abeyance? London and New York: Routledge.
- Marian Sawer (et al, eds) (2006; 2008) Representing Women in Parliament. London and New York: Routledge.
- Marian Sawer and Barry Hindess (eds) (2003) Us and them: Anti-Elitism in Australia. Perth, API Network.
- Marian Sawer (2003) The Ethical State? Social Liberalism in Australia. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Marian Sawer (ed) (2001) Elections: Full, Free and Fair. Sydney: Federation Press.
- Marian Sawer and Gianni Zappala (eds) (2001) Speaking for the People: Representation in Australian Politics. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.