MCom (Canterbury), PhD (Sydney)
Accounting, auditing and accountability
Emeritus Professor Murray Wells is currently Deputy Chairman, Australian Scholarships Foundation (ASF), an organisation dedicated to providing scholarships to help managers and financial officers of charitable organisations enhance their knowledge and skills, and to improving the management and accountability of not-for-profit organisations.. He was formerly Chief Executive of the Australian Simon University project, now abandoned, the funds from which have been redeployed to AusSchol, the parent of ASF.. Primary interests in management accounting. In 2012 he was elected to the Australian Accoounting Hall of Fame. He is a Life Member of the American Accouonting Association aand a Life Member of the Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management.
- Professor of Accounting, University of Sydney, 1975 - 1997
- Dean, Faculty of Economics, University of Sydney, 1988 - 1990
- Foundation Director, Graduate School of Business, The University of Sydney,1986 - 1990
- President, NSW Division, Australian Society of Accountants,1982 - 1983
- President, International Association for Accounting Education and Research 1986 - 1988
- Deputy President, Research Institute for Asia and Pacific, 1995-96
- Member Advisory Council, Photonics CRC, 1995-97
- Member, New South Wales Science and Technology Council, 1992-96;
- Director, Rotary Club of Sydney Inc., 1997-99
- Director, Seven Network Ltd, 1995 - 2008
- Director Seven Group Holdings, 2008 - present
- Chair, University of Sydney Solar Science Research Pty Ltd, 1995 - 2000
- Chair, Consortium of Australian Management and Business Schools Ltd, 1996 - 2001
- Chair, B Digital Ltd, 2000 - 2005.
- Chair, Kaplan Higher Education Pty Ltd, 2012 - present
- Editor, Abacus -A Journal of Accouonting, Finance and Business Studies (Balckwell), 1975 - 1994
Inducted into The Australian Accounting Hall of Fame, University of Melbourne, 2012
Founder’s Award and Life Member International Association for Accounting Education and Research, 2002
Life Member Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management, 2000
President’s Award Australian Society of CPAs, 1995.
Outstanding International Accounting Educator, American Accounting Association, 1995.
Accountant of the Year - Government & Academia New Accountant (Australia), 1993.
Meritorious Service Award, Australian Society of Accountants, 1988.
International Distinguished Visiting Lecturer, American Accounting Association, 1986
Hour Glass Award for best book on accounting history published in 1978. Awarded by the (US) Academy of Accounting Historians for Accounting for Common Costs, August 1979.
- Over 70 articles, including:
- 'A Revolution in Accounting Thought' The Accounting Review, 1976
- 'Axioms for Historical Cost Valuation' The Journal of Accoounting Research, 1971
- Murray Wells (2000) Founding Abacus: Frustration to Fulfilment, Abacus, Vol 34, No 3.
- Murray Wells (1999) Management and Technology Education - Available Virtually Everywhere, ASX Perspectives, 3rd Quarter.
- Murray Wells (1998) Do Management Accountants Add Value?, In Rechnungswesen als Instrument fur Fuhrungsentscheidungen. Hans Peter Moller and Franz Schmidt (eds.). Stuttgart: Schaffer-Poeschel Verlag.
- Murray Wells (1994) Accounting in Australia, In International Encyclopedia of Business and Management. Routledge (eds.). London: Routledge.