BA, MA, MPhil, PhD (Yale)
Professor Norman Etherington of the History Department, University of Western Australia, has continuing research interests in African History, South African History and the History of the British Empire. Other areas of expertise include:
- history and heritage of the urban built environment
- art and literature in the age of imperialism
- history of Christian missions
- President, Australian Historical Association
- Council of the National Trust (WA).
- (2007) Mapping Colonial Conquest: Australia and Southern Africa. : University of Western Australia Press.
- (2005) Missions and Empire. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Norman Etherington (2001) The Great Treks: the Transformation of Southern Africa, 1815-1854. London: Longman.
- Norman Etherington (1999) Missions and Empire, In Oxford History of the British Empire; vol. V, pp. 303-14. W. R. Louis and Robin Winks (eds.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Norman Etherington (1997) Kingdoms of this World and the Next: Christian Beginnings among Zulu and Swazi, In Christianity in the History of South Africa. R. Elphick and R. Davenport (eds.). Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Norman Etherington et. al (1992) Peace, Politics and Violence in the New South Africa . Oxford: Hans Zell.
- H. Rider Haggard (1991) The Definitive She. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press.