DipPsych, Dr Phil (Psychology) (Germany), Grad Cert Ed (Higher Ed) (Queensland), FASSA
Professor Ottmar Lipp holds a Capacity Building Professorship in the School of Psychology and Counselling at the Queensland University of Technology. Professor Lipp researches the interaction between emotional and attentional processes as seen in the acquisition of fear and the response to emotionally salient, pleasant or unpleasant events in humans.
Other areas of expertise include:
- Human psychophysiology
- Associative learning
- Teaching of Psychology.
- Editor in Chief, Biological Psychology (2006-2020)
- ARC Australian Professorial Fellow (2007-2011)
- UQ Senior Research Fellow (2012-2014)
- Professor of Psychology, Queensland University of Technology (2020-present)
- Luck, C.C., Patterson, R.R., & Lipp, O.V. (2021). Be careful what you say! – Evaluative change based on instructional learning generalizes to other similar stimuli and to the wider category, Cognition & Emotion. 35(1), 169-184. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02699931.2020.1816912
- Green, L. J. S., Luck, C. C., & Lipp, O. V. (2020). How disappointing: Startle modulation reveals conditional stimuli presented after pleasant unconditional stimuli acquire negative valence. Psychophysiology, 57(8), e13563. https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.13563.
- Lipp, O.V., Waters, A.M. Luck, C.C., Ryan, K.M., & Craske, M.G. (2020). Novel approaches for strengthening human fear extinction: The roles of novelty, additional USs, and additional GSs. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 124, 103529. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2019.103529
- Luck, C. C., Patterson, R. R., & Lipp, O. V. (2020). “Prepared” fear or socio-cultural learning? Fear conditioned to guns, snakes, and spiders is eliminated by instructed extinction in a within-participant differential fear conditioning paradigm. Psychophysiology, 57(4), e13516. https://doi.org/doi:10.1111/psyp.13516
- Cronin, S.L., Craig, B.M., & Lipp, O.V. (2020). An own-age bias in mixed- and pure-list presentations: No evidence for the social-cognitive account. British Journal of Psychology, 111, 702-722. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/bjop.12435
- Lipp, O. V., Luck, C. C., & Muir, A. C. (2020). Evaluative conditioning affects the subsequent acquisition of differential fear conditioning as indexed by electrodermal responding and stimulus evaluations. Psychophysiology, 57(3), e13505. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.13505
- Luck, C.C., & Lipp, O.V. (2020). Relapse of Evaluative Learning – Evidence for Reinstatement, Renewal, but not Spontaneous Recovery, of Extinguished Evaluative Learning in a Picture-Picture Evaluative Conditioning Paradigm. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 46(6), 1178-1206. doi: https://doi.org/10.1037/xlm0000785
- Lindeberg, S., Craig, B.M., & Lipp, O.V. (2019). 2:0 for the good guys: Character information influences emotion perception. Emotion, 19, 1495-1499. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000530
- Cronin, S.L., Craig, B.M., & Lipp, O.V. (2019). Emotional Expressions Reduce the Own-Age Bias. Emotion, 19, 1206-1213. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000517
- Lindeberg, S., Craig, B.M., & Lipp, O.V. (2019). You look pretty happy: Attractiveness moderates emotion perception. Emotion, 19, 1070-1080. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000513.