BA (hons), PhD (Sydney)
Professor Susan Kippax retired from the position of Director of the National Centre in HIV Social Research at the University of New South Wales in 2007 and is now Visiting Professorial Fellow at the Social Policy Research Centre at the University of New South Wales. Professor Kippax is a social psychologist and specialises in social aspects of health and illness in relation to communicable diseases, especially HIV and hepatitis C. Other areas of expertise include: sexuality, social construction of emotions, and the mass media.
- Member, Global HIV Prevention Working Party (2002 - 2012)
- Member of Scientific Advisory Panel to UNAIDS High Level Commission on HIV Prevention (2010)
Co-Editor Journal of the International AIDS Society (2009 -
- Foundation Editor of Culture Health & Sexuality
Rhodes Travelling Fellowship, Oxford
- Kippax, S. & Stephenson, N. (2012) Beyond the distinction between biomedical and social dimensions of public health: Prevention through the lens of a social public health. American J. Public Health; 102(5): 789-799.
- Kippax, S. (2010) Safe sex: it's not as simple as ABC, in Peter Aggleton & Richard Parker (Eds.) Routledge Handbook of Sexuality, Health and Rights, pp.184-192, London: Routledge.
- Kippax, S. & Stephenson, N. (2010) Infectious disease and globalization, in Bryan S. Turner (Ed.) The Routledge International Handbook of Globalization Studies, pp205-226, Oxford: Routledge.
- Henderson, K., Worth, H., Aggleton, P. & Kippax, S. (2009) Enhancing HIV prevention: renewing the social and behavioural agenda, Global Health, 4 (2), 117-130.
- Kippax, S. (2008) Understanding and integrating the structural and biomedical determinants of HIV-infection: a way forward for prevention, Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS, 3, 489-494.
- Kippax, S and Race, K. (2003) Sustaining safe practice: twenty years on, Social Science and Medicine 57:1-12.
- Kippax, S. Sexual health interventions are unsuitable for experimental evaluation, in J.M. Stephenson, J. Imrie & C. Bonell (Eds.) Effective Sexual Health Interventions: issues in experimental evaluation, pp.17-34. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- S. Kippax and P. Kinder (2002) Reflexive practice: the relationship between social research and health promotion practice, Sex Education 2(2):93-106.
- Stephenson, N. and Kippax, Susan (1999) Minding the gap: subjectivity and sexuality research, In Challenges to Theoretical Psychology. W. Maiers, et al. (eds.). Ontario: Captus Press Inc.
- Kippax, Susan, Campbell, D., Van de Ven, P., et. al. (1998) Cultures of sexual adventurism as markers of HIV seroconversion: a case control study in a cohort of Sydney gay men, AIDS Care 10(6):677-688.
- Kippax, Susan and Van de Ven, P (1998) An epidemic of orthodoxy? Design and methodology in the evaluation of the effectiveness of HIV health promotion, Critical Public Health 8(4):371-386.
- Kippax, Susan, Noble, J., Prestage, G., Crawford, J.M., Campbell, D., Baxter, D. and Cooper, D. (1997) Sexual negotiation in the 'AIDS era': negotiated safety revisited, AIDS 11(2):191-197.
- Kippax, Susan, Connell, R.W., Dowsett, G.W. and Crawford, J. (1993) Sustaining Safe Sex: Gay Communities Respond to AIDS. London: Falmer Press.