AB (Stanford), PhD (La Trobe)
Emeritus Professor Sheila Shaver has research interests in sociology and social policy, specialising in research on the political sociology of social policy and the Australian welfare state. She is also interested in gender as it inhabits social policy, and in comparative international study of social policy and welfare state development. She has held positions at Melbourne and Macquarie Universities and the University of New South Wales, where she was Deputy Director of the Social Policy Research Centre. In 1997/1998 she was Kerstin Hesselgren Visiting Professor in Sweden. She was Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) at the University of Western Sydney from 2003 to 2006. Professor Shaver remains active in research, and is currently HonoraryProfessor at the Social Policy Research Centre, University of New South Wales. With Peter Beilharz and Trevor Hogan, she recently published The Martin Presence: Jean Martin and the Making of the Social Sciences in Australia (UNSW Press, 2015). She is currently editing the Handbook on Gender and Social Policy for Edward Elgar Publishers.
Member, Australian Research Integrity Committee 2011-2016.
- Peter Beilharz, Trevor Hogan and Sheila Shaver (2015), The Martin Presence: Jean Martin and the Making of the Social Sciences in Australia (UNSW Press)
- Sheila Shaver (2015), 'How a study lost its funding: Jean Martin and public knowledge of the refugee experience', Journal of Sociology, 51,2: 285-298.
- Sheila Shaver (2013), 'Gender issues in welfare states', in B. Greve (ed.), The Routledge Handbook of the Welfare State, Routledge, London.
- Sheila Shaver (2008) Culturalism, multiculturalism and welfare state citizenship, La Rivista delle Politiche Sociali/Italian Journal of Social Policy, No. 1, 2008: 633-651.
- Sheila Shaver (2004) Welfare, equality and globalisation: Reconceiving social citizenship, In Globalisation and Equality. K. Horton and H. Patapan (eds.). London: Routledge.
- Sheila Shaver (2002) Australian welfare reform: from citizenship to supervision, Social Policy and Administration, 36(4): 331-45.
- Sheila Shaver (2001) Pension reform in Australia: problematic gender equality, In Women, Work and Pensions: International Issues and Prospects. J. Ginn, D. Street and S. Arber (eds.). Buckingham, UK: Open University Press.
- J. S. O'Connor, Ann Shola Orloff and Sheila Shaver (1999) States, Markets, Families: Gender, Liberalism and Social Policy in Australia, Canada, Great Britain and the US. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sheila Shaver (1997) Universality and Selectivity in Income Support to the Aged: An Assessment of the Issues. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publications.