BA (Syracuse), MA (Iowa) PhD (honoris causa) Superior University
Professor Stephen Nicholas is Emeritus Professor of International Business (and formerly PVC Business and Law) at the University of Newcastle; High-end Froeign Expert for the State Administration for Freign Experts located at Tianjin Normal University; and Tianjin 1000 Talent Foreign Expert, Tianjin Normal University. Professor Nicholas was Yunshan Chair Professor, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, 2011-15, and is now a Visiting Professor at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies and Visiting Professor Beijing Foreign Studies University. Emeritus Professor Nicholas was Guest Professor at Beijing Normal University and Nanjing University of Finance and Economics. He is a Member of Council and Chair of Academic Board, TOP Education Insitute and was Chair of the Governing Council of Williams Business College. He is a member of the Chinese Service Centre for Scholarly Exchange (Ministry of Education) Quality Assurance Counseling Panel.
He was awarded a PhD honoris causa from Superior University, Pakistan, in 2010.
Emeritus Professor Nicholas researches in international business, health services, corporate and economic history and anthroprometic history. Professor Nicholas is Founder and Past-President of ANZIBA (Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy) and he has served as President of the Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand and as an Executive Member of the International Ecnomic History Association.
His recent research includes:
- international business strategy
- strategic restructuring by foreign and domestic firms in China
- Chinese business groups
- knowledge transfer to China
- health services and health policy in China
- dynamics of MNE expansion
Emeritus Professor of International Business, University of Newcastle
Tianjin 1000 Talent Expert, Tianjin Normal University 2016-2019
High-end Froeign Expert State Adminsitration of Foreign Experts, Tianjing Normal University 2015-2018
Visiting Professor, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, 2015+
Guest Professor, Beijing Foreign Studies University, 2009+
YunShan Chair Professor, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, 2011-2015
Guest Professor, Beijing Normal University, 2011-14
Honorary Associate the Graduate School of Government, University of Sydney 2010-2017
Guest Professor, Nanjing University of Finance and Economics 2007-2013
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Business and Law, University of Newcastle, 2006-2011
Sesqui Professor of International Business and Head of School of Economics and Political Science, University of Sydney, 2003-06
Professor of Economic History, University of Melbourne, 1993-2002.
Co-Director, Australian Centre for International Business, University of Melbourne and University of New South Wales, 1998 - 2002.
Head, Department of Business Development and Corporate History, University of Melbourne, 1996-1997
Head, Department of Economic History, University of Melbourne, 1993-1995
Associate Professor in Economics, University of New South Wales, 1989-1993.
2016 Haihe China Friendship Award, Tianjin China
2017 Life Fellow, Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy
- Fan Yang, Ling Ding, Cai Liu, Lizheng Xu, Stephen Nicholas and Jian Wang, ‘Haze Attitudes and the Willingness to Pay for Haze Improvement: Evidence from Four Cities in Shandong Province, China’ International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (forthcoming, 2018)
- Dawei Zhu, Na Guo, Jian Wang, Stephen Nicholas, Li Chen, “Socioeconomic inequalities of outpatient and inpatient service utilization in China：Personal and regional perspectives” International Journal for Equity in Health 14 (2) 2018
- Yanan Luo, Dawei Zhu, Xuefeng Shi, Stephen Nicholas Ping He ‘Education as a moderator in the effect of diabetes on depressive symptoms in Chinese middle-aged and older adults: A population-based longitudinal study’, Journal of Affective Disorders, 240 (November) 2018
- Entrepreneurship, Organizational Change and Employment Management Zhao Shuming, Stephen Nicholas, Chunlin Liu, Xiaolin Xu, Yina Mao (eds) University of Nanjing Press, 2017
- Rebecca Mitchell, Brendan Boyle, Stephen Nicholas, Elizabeth Maitland and Zhao Shuming, ‘Boundary Conditions of a Curvilinear Relationship between Decision Comprehensiveness and Performance: The Role of Functional and National Diversity’ Journal of Business Research, 69 (8) 2016
- Brendan Boyle, Rebecca Mitchell and Stephen Nicholas, ‘The value of international assignees' knowledge of interpersonal networks: knowledge of people, networks and politics and knowledge flows in multinational enterprises’, Management International Review, 56 (3) 2016
- Yu L, Wang J, Wangen KR, Chen R, Maitland E, Nicholas S. Factors associated with adults' perceived need to vaccinate against hepatitis B in rural China, Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 12 (5) 2016: 1149-54
- Wenhua Wang, Leiyu Shi, Aitian Yin, Zongfu Mao, Elizabeth Maitland, Stephen Nicholas and Xiaoyun Liu, ‘Primary care quality between Traditional Tibetan Medicine and Western Medicine Hospitals: a pilot assessment in Tibet’, International Journal for Equity in Health, (2015), 14: 45-51 (14 May 2015).
- Wenhua Wang, Leiyu Shi, Aitian Yin, Elizabeth Maitland, Stephen Nicholas, Xiaoyun Liu and Zongfu Mao, Primary Care Quality among Different Health Care Structures in Tibet, China, BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, Article ID 206709, 8 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/206709
- Zhao Shuming, Stephen Nicholas (eds) Research on the Impact of Global Economic Integration and Information Networking on Sustainable Corporate Development, University of Nanjing Press, 2014
- Boyle, B. Nicholas S. and Mitchell R., ‘Sharing and Developing Knowledge of Organisation Culture during International Assignments’, International Journal of Cross-Cultural Management 12(3) 2012, 361-78
- Mitchell, R, Boyle, B. and Nicholas S. ‘The Impact of Goal Structure in Team Knowledge Creation’ Group Processes and Intergroup Relations 12 (5), 639-51, 2009
- Maitland, E, Cheng, J, Nicholas, S (eds) Managing Subsidiary Dynamics: Headquarters Role, Capability Development, and China Strategy (Emerald, 2009)
- Mitchell, R, Nicholas, S. and Boyle, B ‘The Impact of Cognitive Conflict in Teams’ Asia Pacific Management Review (2009)
- Nicholas, S and Wang Yue (2007) The Formation and Evolution of Non-equity Strategic Alliances in China, Asia Pacific Journal of Management 24 (2).
- Maitland, E, Rose, E and Nicholas, S. How Firms Grow: Clustering as a Dynamic Model of Internationalisation, Journal of International Business Studies (2005).
- Wang Yue and Nicholas, S. Knowledge Transfer, Replication and Learning in Non-Equity Alliances: Operating Joint ventures in China, Management International Review, 1:45 (2005).
- S. Nicholas, E. Maitland. W. Purcell and T. Smith Regional Learning Networks: Evidence from MNEs in Thailand and Australia, Management International Review 2:44, (2004)
- S. Nicholas and E. Maitland Modelling Multinational from Small Open Economies. Volume 32: International Studies of Management & Organizations 2002
- A. Carlos and S. Nicholas Managing the Manager: An Application of the Agent-Principal Model to the Hudson's Bay Company, Oxford Economic Papers, 45 (1993)
- Stephen Nicholas (ed) Convict Workers: Reinterpreting Australia's Past . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (1988)
- S. Nicholas Agency Contracts, Institutional Modes and the Transition to Foreign Direct Investments by British Manufacturing Multinationals Before 1939, Journal of Economic History, XLIII, (February 1983).