Bcom (hons) (NSW), AM (Harvard), PhD (Harvard)
Professor Warwick McKibbin has a Vice Chancellors Chair in Public Policy and is the Director of the ANU Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis (CAMA) in the Crawford School of Public Policy at the Australian National University (ANU). He is also an ANU Public Policy Fellow; a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Social Sciences; a Distinguished Fellow of the Asia and Pacific Policy Society; a non-resident Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington D.C (where he is co-Director of the Climate and Energy Economics Project) and President of McKibbin Software Group Inc. Professor McKibbin was foundation Director of the ANU Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis and foundation Director of the ANU Research School of Economics.
Prof McKibbin received his B.Com (Honours 1) and University Medal from University of NSW (1980) and his AM (1984) and a PhD (1986) from Harvard University. He was awarded the Centenary medal in 2003 “For Service to Australian Society through Economic Policy and Tertiary Education”.
Professor McKibbin is internationally renowned for his contributions to global economic modeling. Professor McKibbin has published more than 200 academic papers as well as being a regular commentator in the popular press. He has authored/ edited 5 books including “Climate Change Policy after Kyoto: A Blueprint for a Realistic Approach” with Professor Peter Wilcoxen of Syracuse University. He has been a consultant for many international agencies and a range of governments on issues of macroeconomic policy, international trade and finance, greenhouse policy issues, global demographic change and the economic cost of pandemics.
Member of The Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA), Council on Economic Policy (CCEP) (2012 - );
Member of the International Policy Advisory Group (IPAG) Committee (Shadow G20) (2011 - )
Member of the Shadow RBA Board, Pro-Pol Project (2012- );
Expert Panel member of Euromoney Country Risk (2012-)
Member of Deakin Policy Forum Advisory Council (2011 - );
ANU Climate Change Institute, Internal Governance Board (2011 - );
ANU Energy Change Institute, Executive Board ((2011 - );
Australian National University Investment Advisory Committee (2011 - )
Access Capital Advisors, Advisory Investment Committee (2011 - )
JCP Investment Partners Ltd, Investment Process Committee (2011 - )
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Advisory Board (2007 - );
McKibbin Software Group Inc, Executive Board (1990 - );
McKibbin Software Group Pty Ltd, Executive Board (1993 - );
Columbia University, Asian Economic Panel (2002 - );
Associate Director, ANU Australian Centre for Economic Research on Health (2005 - )
Rabobank Advisory Board (2008 - 2011);
Reserve Bank of Australia, Board Member (2001-2011);
China Global Economic Research Network (CGERN), Advisory Board (2004 - 2011);
World Economic Forum, Global Agenda Council on the Future of Australia (2008 - 2011);
Terrestrial Carbon Group (2007 - 2011);
The Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA), Member of Research and Policy Committee (2009 -2011);
Prime Minister’s Science, Engineering and Innovation Council (2005-2008);
Prime Minister’s Taskforce into Housing Affordability, Academic Advisory Board (2002-2003);
Prime Minister’s Taskforce on Uranium Mining, Processing and Nuclear Energy – Opportunities for Australia(2006-2007);
International Council on Mining and Metals, Advisory Board to the Resource Endowment Project (2004-2006);
Climate Policy Center (Washington DC), Advisory Board (2001-08);
EPIAM - Exante Poverty Impact Assessment of Macroeconomic Policies in Developing Countries (Washington DC) – Advisory Board (2002- 2006);
The Australian Centre for Business Research, Queensland University of Technology, Advisory Board (2003-2007), Chairman 2005-2007;
Expert Reviewer, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Working Group II Fourth Assessment Report (2006);
Australia-Japan Research Centre, ANU, Advisory Board (1994 - 2000);
Centre for Economic Policy Research, ANU, Advisory Board (1995- 2000);
ANU Graduate Program in Economics, Board of Studies (1997- 2003);
Asia Pacific School of Economics & Management, Executive Board (1998 -2003);
Harvard University, Asian Economic Panel (2000-2002);
United Nations Global Modeling Forum, Advisory Board (1996-2000);
Economic Society of Australia- Canberra Branch, Executive Board (1995 - 2000);-+*
International Economic Database, ANU, Advisory Board (1994 -99);
ANU Centre for Korean Studies (1995 - 98).
Order of Australia – “For Distinguished Service to Education as an Economist, Particularly in the Area of Global Climate Policy, and to Financial Institutionsand International Organizations” (2016);
The Centenary Medal - “For Service to Australian Society through Economic Policy and Tertiary Education” (2003);
Distinguished Fellow, Asia and the Pacific Policy Society (2012)
Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences, Australia, (1997);
University Medal, University of NSW, Australia (1980).
Paper on “Globalization and Disease” one of the 50 Most Influential papers ever published by MIT Press Journals (2012)
- McKibbin W and Wilcoxen P (2013), A Global Approach to Energy and the Environment: The G-cubed Model” Handbook of CGE Modeling, Chapter 17, North Holland, pp 995-1068
- McKibbin W, Morris A, and Wilcoxen P (2011), “Comparing Climate Commitments: A model-based analysis of the Copenhagen Accord”, Climate Change Economics, Vol 2, No 2
- McKibbin W. and A. Stoeckel (2009) “Modeling the Global Financial Crisis”, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Vol 25, No 4, p581-607
- McKibbin W. D. Pearce and A. Stegman (2009) “Climate Change Scenarios and Long Term Projections” Climatic Change, vol 97, number 1-2 November pp 23-4
- McKibbin, W., Morris, A. and P. Wilcoxen (2009) “Expecting the Unexpected: Macroeconomic Volatility and Climate Policy”, in J Aldy and R. Stavins (eds) Architectures for Agreement: Addressing Global Climate Change in the Post-Kyoto World, Cambridge University Press, pp. 185 - 208
- McKibbin W. and P. Wilcoxen (2007) “A Credible Foundation for Long Term International Cooperation on Climate Change” in Joseph Aldy and Robert Stavins (eds), Architectures for Agreement: Addressing Global Climate Change in the Post-Kyoto World, Cambridge University Press, pp185-208.
- Ang J. and W.McKibbin (2007) “ Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development and Growth: Evidence from Malaysia” Journal of Development Economics, vol 84, pp215-233.
- McKibbin W. (2006) “ Global Energy and Environmental Impacts of an Expanding China” China and the World Economy volume 14, no 4, pp38-56
- Lee J.W, McKibbin W.J. and Y. Park (2006) “Transpacific Trade Imbalances: Causes and Cures” World Economy, vol 29, no 3, pp 281-304
- McKibbin W. (2006) “The Global Macroeconomic Consequences of a Demographic Transition”, Asian Economic Papers, vol 5, no 1, pp 92 – 141, MIT Press. Also published in “G-20 Workshop on Demographic Challenges and Migration” Australian Government Printing Service pp11-44.
- McKibbin W. and W. Woo (2004) “Quantifying the International Economic Impact of China’s WTO Membership” China and the World Economy, vol 12, no 2, pp. 3-19. Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, China.
- Lee J-W and W. McKibbin (2004) Globalization and Disease: The Case of SARS, Asian Economic Papers.
- Warwick McKibbin and Peter Wilcoxen (2002) Climate Change Policy After Kyoto: A Blueprint for a Realistic Approach. Washington DC: Brookings Institution.
- Warwick McKibbin and Peter Wilcoxen (2002) The Role of Economics in Climate Change Policy, Journal of Economic Perspectives.
- McKibbin W.J. and D. Vines (2000) Modelling Reality: The Need for Both Intertemporal Optimization and Stickiness in Models for Policymaking, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 16(4).
- McKibbin W., Ross, M., Shackleton R. and P. Wilcoxen (1999) Emissions Trading, Capital Flows and the Kyoto Protocol, Energy Journal.
- W. McKibbin (1997) Empirical Evidence on International Economic Policy Coordination, In Handbook of Comparative Economic Policies Volume 5: Macroeconomic Policy in Open Economies. Fratianni, M., Salvatore D. And J. Von Hagen (eds.). London: Greenwood Press.
- W McKibbin, F Lo and L Klein (1995) Arms Reduction: Economic Implications in the Post Cold War Era. Tokyo: United Nations University.
- Warwick McKibbin and Jeffrey Sachs (1991) Global Linkages: Macroeconomic Interdependence and Cooperation in the World Economy. Washington DC: The Brookings Institution.