BA (Hons), MA (Melbourne), PhD (Monash), DipEd (Melbourne), FASSA
William (Bill) Logan is a Professor Emeritus at Deakin University. He held the UNESCO Chair in Heritage and Urbanism at Deakin University in Melbourne from 2000-2014, where he was director of the Cultural Heritage Centre for Asia and the Pacific (CHCAP) from 2001 - 2009. He led CHCAP research teams in the preparation of 'Australians at War' and 'Creating an Australian Democracy' for the Australian Heritage Commission and Environment Australia.
His university research attracted 13 ARC grants as well as grants from the Hong Kong Research Council and US Social Sciences Research Council. His publications (7 monographs, 11 edited books, 56 book chapters, 32 refereed journal articles) focus on global heritage issues, including the World Heritage system, the political and ideological uses of heritage, the links between cultural diversity, heritage and human rights, and the cross-cultural and political complexities of Australia's extraterritorial war heritage.
He is co-General Editor, with Professor Laurajane Smith, ANU, of the 'Key Issues in Cultural Heritage' series of books for Routledge, UK., and co-edited the Blackwell-Wiley Companion to Heritage Studies with Professors Mairead Nic Craith and Ulrich Kockel, Heriot Watt University. He is Editorial Board member of the International Journal of Heritage Studies.
He was President of Australia ICOMOS from 1999 - 2002 and was a Member of the Heritage Council of Victoria from 2008-2013. He has undertaken numerous overseas heritage management projects for UNESCO and ICOMOS since 1986, including to Bangladesh, China, Fiji, Laos, Pakistan, Republic of Korea and Vietnam as well as UNESCO's headquarters in Paris. He was a member of the small international working group that drafted UNESCO's World Heritage and Sustainable Development policy (adopted November 2016).
In the last ten years:
- Member, Heritage Council of Victoria (2008 - 2013)
- Chair, Research and Investigations Committee, Heritage Council of Victoria (2010 - )
- Member, Editorial Board, Inernational Journal of Heritage Studies (2009 - )
- Member, International Advisory Board, Academy of Irish Cultural Heritages, University of Ulster, UK (2001 - 2009)
Main Teaching, Research or Administrative Posts
- Alfred Deakin Professor, Deakin University (2004 - 2012)
- UNESCO Chair of Heritage and Urbanism, Deakin University (2000 - 2014)
- Professor of Heritage Studies, Deakin University (1998 - 2000)
- Director, Cultural Heritage Centre for Asia and the Pacific, Deakin University (2001 - 2009)
- Research Director, Head, Graduate School, Faculty of Arts, Deakin University (1993 - 1998)
- Professor of Geography, Deakin University (1992 - 1998)
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, Deakin University/Victoria College (1987 - 1992)
- Principal Lecturer in Urban Studies, Footscray Institute of Technology (1975 - 1987)
- Senior Lecturer in Urban Studies, Footscray Institute of Technology (1974)
- Lecturer, Geography Department, University of Melbourne (1971 - 1973)
- Tutor, Department of Geography, University of Melbourne (1965 - 1967)
- Alfred Deakin Professor, Deakin University, awarded October 2004
- Outstanding Research Award, Deakin University, 2002
- International Planning History Society, Book Prize 2002 (for Hanoi: Biography of a City, UNSW Press, Sydney; University of Washington Press, Seattle; Select Publishing)
- Dwight Final Examination Prize in Geography, University of Melbourne, 1963
Peter B. Larsen and William Logan (eds), World Heritage and Sustainable Development: New Directions in World Heritage Management, London, Routledge, 2018.
Christoph Antons and William Logan (eds), Intellectual Property, Cultural Property and Intangible Cultural Heritage, London, Routledge, 2018.
Sophia Labadi and William Logan (eds), Urban Heritage, Development and Sustainability: International Frameworks, National and Local Governance, London, Routledge, 2016.
William Logan, Mairead Nic Craith and Ulrich Kockel (eds), A Companion to Heritage Studies, Chichester, UK, Wiley Blackwell. 2016.
Stener Ekern, William Logan, Birgitte Sauge and Amund Sinding-Larsen (eds). World Heritage Management and Human Rights. London, Routledge, 2015.
Michele Langfield, William Logan and Mairead Nic Craith (eds) (2010), Cultural Diversity, Heritage and Human Rights: Intersections in Theory and Practice. London: Routledge
William Logan and Keir Reeves (eds) (2009), Places of Pain and Shame: Dealing with 'Difficult Heritage'. London: Routledge
William Logan (2007), Reshaping the 'Sunburned Country': Heritage and cultural politics in contemporary Australia, in Loving a Sunburned Country? Geographies of Australian Heritages, R Jones and B J Shaw (eds). Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publishing Ltd
Mark Askew, William Logan and Colin Long (2007), Vientiane: Transformation of a Lao Landscape. London: Routledge
William Logan (ed) (2002), The Disappearing 'Asian' City: Protecting Asia's Urban Heritage in a Globalizing World. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press
William Logan (2000) , Hanoi: Biography of a City [Vietnamese version: Ha Noi: Tieu Su Mot Do Thi]. Sydney: UNSW Press; Seattle: U Washington Press; Singapore: Select Publishing [Hanoi: Hanoi Publishing House]
William S. Logan, The Gentrification of Inner Melbourne: A Political Geography of the Housing Market, St Lucia, University of Queensland Press, 1985.