Completing Australia’s Retirement Income System: Implications of the Retirement Income Review Report
Thursday 4 March 2021
A comprehensive report on the roundtable from Professor Andrew Podger and Professor Bob Breunig is now available. View the report here.
The Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, the Tax and Transfer Policy Institute and the Social Policy Institute will jointly convene a group of academic and industry experts and senior government officials to discuss the findings and implications of the Retirement Income Review Report, led by Michael Callaghan AM PSM.
The roundtable is aimed to explore the Report with a view to identifying the measures still needed, based on the Report’s findings, to ensure the retirement income system does meet its objective of ‘adequate, equitable, sustainable and coherent’ retirement incomes.
Experts presenting at the roundtable include:
- Honorary Professor of Public Policy and former Australian Public Service Commissioner Andrew Podger AO
- Director of the Tax and Transfer Policy Institute at ANU Robert Breunig
- Director of the Social Policy Institute at ANU Peter Whiteford
- Senior Partner at Mercer David Knox
- Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research John Piggott AO
- Chairman, Retirement Income at Challenger Jeremy Cooper
- Deputy Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research Hazel Bateman
- Associate Professor of the Social Policy Research Centre at UNSW Bruce Bradbury
- Senior Analyst at Industry Super Bruce Bastian.
A summary report will be publicly available following the event.
The event is proudly supported by the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia and UniSuper.
Andrew Podger AO: Superannuation guarantee might not have to rise to 12%. The Canberra Times, 6 April 2021.
Andrew Podger AO: Responding to Callaghan: Completing Australia’s retirement income system. TTPI – Working Paper 16/2020.
Robert Breunig and Kristen Sobeck: The Economic Incidence of Superannuation. Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University, 2020.
Kristen Sobeck and Robert Breunig: The impact of government funded retirement contributions (matching) on the retirement savings behaviour of low and middle income individuals. Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University, 2020.